terça-feira, 23 de outubro de 2012


1º ano  - EM - Santa Clara – 2012
Prof: Izilda Maria Eduardo Rebouças

Review - Simple Past – Present Perfect Simple
Form
Simple Past
Present Perfect Simple
irregular verbs: see 2nd column of irregular verbs
Example: I spoke
irregular verbs: form of 'have' + 3rd column of irregular verbs
Example: I / you / we / they have spoken
      he / she / it has spoken
regular verbs: infinitive + ed
Example: I worked
regular verbs: form of 'have' + infinitive + ed
Example: I / you / we / they have worked
     he / she / it has worked
Exceptions
Exceptions when adding 'ed':
§  when the final letter is e, only add d
Example:  love - loved
§  after a short, stressed vowel, the final consonant is doubled
Example:  admit - admitted
§  final l is always doubled in British English (not in American English)
Example :travel - travelled
§  after a consonant, final y becomes i (but: not after a vowel)
Example: worry – worried                  but: play - played

Use of Present Perfect
§  puts emphasis on the result  Ex: She has written five letters.

§  action that is still going on   Ex: School has not started yet.

§  action that stopped recently    Ex: She has cooked dinner.

§  finished action that has an influence on the present
     Ex: I have lost my key.
§  action that has taken place once, never or several times   before the moment of speaking
    Example: I have never been to Australia.

Signal Words of Present Perfect
§  already, ever, just, never, not yet, so far, till now, up to now

Simple Past
Present Perfect Simple
certain time in the past
Example: I phoned Mary 2 minutes ago.
just / already / not yet
Example: I have just phoned Mary.
Certain event in the past or how often so far?
Do you want to express when a certain action took place or whether / how often an action has happened till now?
Simple Past
Present Perfect Simple
certain event in the past
Example: He went to Canada last summer.
whether / how often till now
Example: Have you ever been to Canada? / I have been to Canada twice.
Emphasis on action or result?
Do you just want to express what happened in the past? Or do you want to emphasise the result (a past action's consequence in the present)?
Simple Past
Present Perfect Simple
Emphasis on action
Example: I bought a new bike. (just telling what I did in the past.)
Emphasis on result
Example: I have bought a new bike. (With this sentence I actually want to express that I have a new bike now.)
Signal Words
Simple Past
Present Perfect Simple
§  yesterday
§  ... ago
§  in 1990
§  the other day
§  last ...
§  just
§  already
§  up to now
§  until now / till now
§  ever
§  (not) yet
§  so far
§  lately / recently

Exercises
I-            Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   Mother: I want to prepare dinner. (you / wash) .............................. the dishes yet?
2.   Daughter: I (wash) ......................................the dishes yesterday, but I (have / not) ........................................the time yet to do it today.
3.   Mother: (you / do / already) ...............................your homework?
4.   Daughter: No, I (come / just) .............................home from school.
5.   Mother: You (come) .....................home from school two hours ago!
6.   Daughter: Well, but my friend Lucy (call) ...........................when I (arrive) ................................and I (finish / just) ............................the phone call.
7.   Mother: (you / see / not) ................................Lucy at school in the morning?
8.   Daughter: Yes, but we (have / not) .......................time to talk then.
II-          Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   A: I (cycle / just) .......................................................50 km.
2.   B: I (cycle) ......................................................100 km last week.
3.   A: I (write) ...............................................an essay yesterday.
4.   B: I (write / already) ....................................two essays this term.
5.   A: I (ring / just) ........................................................my friend.
6.   B: I (ring) ............................................my friend 10 minutes ago.
7.   A: Two days ago, I (watch) ......................a Madonna concert on TV.
8.   B: I (see / already) ...................................Madonna live in concert.
9.   A: I (spend) .....................my summer holiday in Australia last year.
10.              B: I (be / not) ......................................................to Australia yet.


III-        Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   A: (you / be / ever) ............................................to London?
2.   B: Yes, I (be) .........................................there three times.
3.   A: When (be) ..................the last time you (be) ..................there?
4.   B: Last summer. I (spend) ..................................two weeks in Brighton with my parents and we (go) .................to London one weekend.
5.   (you / like) ...............................................it?
6.   Oh yes. We really (have) .............................a great time in London.
7.   Lucky you! I (be / never) ..............................................to London.

IV-         Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   A: (you / try / ever) ...........................................haggis?
2.   B: Oh, yes!
3.   A: How often (you / eat) .......................................haggis yet?
4.   B: Two times exactly.
5.   A: When (you / eat / first) ...........................................haggis?
6.   B: That (be) .....................in 2005. We (have) .............a Scottish festival in our town and they also (sell) ................traditional Scottish food. So I (buy) ..............................haggis.
7.   A: (you / like) ........................................it?
8.   B: It (be / not) ..............................too bad. And I (know / not) ..........................................anything about haggis then.
9.   A: When (you / find out)................................................?
10.              B: When I (be) ...............................in Scotland in 2007. I (go) ...............................to a restaurant and (order) .........................haggis. Afterwards, the waiter (tell) ..............................me about haggis: it's the heart, liver and lungs of a sheep, boiled in the animal's stomach. Well, I (eat / never) ..................................................haggis again since then.

V-           Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   A: (you / buy) ............................the tickets for our journey yet?
2.   B: Yes, I (go) ..............................to the station yesterday and (buy) .......................................the tickets.
3.   A: What time (you / go) .........................................there?
4.   B: I (take) .........................................a friend to the station in the morning. His train (leave) ..........................................at 9:45.
5.   A: (you / pack) .............................................your bags yet?
6.   B: Of course. And I (ask / already) ........................................... my neighbour to empty my letter box. What about you?
7.   B: I (pack) ...........................................my bags two days ago.

VI-         Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   Yesterday, my brother (come) .........................home from school, (switch) ...........................on the TV and (watch) .............................. TV until dinner (be) ...............................ready.
2.   Oh no, it's raining and I (leave) ..........................my umbrella at home.
3.   Look! There is so much food left. Nobody (eat) .................... anything.
4.   Where (you / be) ...........................yesterday? - I (go) ................ to the shopping centre and (buy) ..........................a new computer game.
5.   Why don't you want to play football with us this weekend? - I (break) ......................................my leg.
6.   The road is closed. There (be) ....................................an accident.
7.   I (have) ........................an accident when I (be) .....................in Manchester last year.
8.   Come on, let's celebrate! Our team (win) ........................the match.

VII-        Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   A: (you / play / already) .............................the new computer game?
2.   B: No, not yet. I only (buy) ............................it yesterday and I (have / not) ...........................................the time yet.
3.   A: (you / go) ......................................to the cinema last night?
4.   B: Yes. I (be) ................................there with Sue and Louis. (you / be) .......................................................to the cinema recently?
5.   A: I last (go) ....................................to the cinema two weeks ago.
6.   B: So you (see / not) .............................the new action film yet.
7.   A: No, unfortunately not. (you / enjoy) ...............................it?
8.   B: Oh, I really (love) .....................................it. But Sue (like / not) .........................................it - too much action!
9.   A: But why (you / take) .................................her with you? She (tell) ..................................me last week that she (hate) ...................... action films.
10.              B: I think she has an eye on Louis. She (try) ............................... to flirt with him all the time. So he (can / concentrate / not) ................. ........................................on the film.

VIII-     Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   I (just / finish) ...........................................my homework.
2.   Mary (already / write) ..................................five letters.
3.   Tom (move) ...................................to this town in 1994.
4.   My friend (be) ............................in Canada two years ago.
5.   I (not / be) ........................................to Canada so far.
6.   But I (already / travel) .......................................................to London a couple of times.
7.   Last week, Mary and Paul (go) .............................to the cinema.
8.   I can't take any pictures because I (not / buy) .............................. a new film yet.
9.   (they / spend) ...............................................their holiday in New Zealand last summer?
10.              (you / ever / see) ..............................................a whale?
Parte superior do formulário
IX-         Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   William (tidy / already) .............................................up his room.
2.   Caroline (miss) ........................................the schoolbus yesterday.
3.   I (finish / just) ...........................................my homework.
4.   I cannot go out tonight. My grandparents (come) .......................... to see us.
5.   In 2004, the Olympic Summer Games (take) ..........................place in Athens.
X-           Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   We (watch / not) ..............................................TV last night.
2.   Joanna (read / not) ...............................................the book yet.
3.   Collin (not / go) ..........................................on holiday last year.
4.   I (have / not) ...............................................any problems so far.
5.   They (learn / not) ............................................the new words yet.

XI-         Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   (they / be / ever) .................................................to New York?
2.   (you / see) .............................................Catherine a minute ago?
3.   What time (you / get) ...........................................up today?
4.   (he / hear) ...............................................the news yet?
5.   How often (you / play) ..............................that game up to now?

XII-       Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).
1.   A: I (see / not) ............................you for a long time. Where (you / be)...................................................?
2.   B: I (come / just) ....................................back from Canada.
3.   A: Oh really? What (you / do) .................................in Canada?
4.   B: I (take) ..............................................a nature tour.
5.   A: Wow! (you / see) ........................many wild animals there?
6.   B: Of course. I (watch) ............................bears, wolves and whales in the wild. That (be) ..............................so interesting. (you / spend / ever) ..........................................................a holiday in Canada?
7.   A: Yes, I (travel) ..................................around Canada twice so far.
8.   B: When (you / go) ...........................................there?
9.   A: The first time I (go) ............................there (be) ..................... in 1997 and the second time in 2004.
10.              B: (you / enjoy) ....................................................it?
11.              A: I absolutely (love) ...........................it, especially the west coast.
Parte inferior do formulário

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário